The purpose of this blog

Welcome dear reader!  I'm Shaun Cheung, and I am extremely pleased to have you visit my blog.  The focus of this blog will be on the politics of higher education institutions in Hong Kong.  I will write about my personal insights on the news, gossip, and people who make the moves in the higher education sector of the city.

A bit about myself: I was a student majoring in Economics and Finance in the University of Hong Kong (HKU), class of 2020, where I briefly achieved infamy in early 2019 for running for a leadership position on the HKU's student's union (HKUSU) on an extremely unpopular platform; I subsequently lost the election in emphatic fashion.  After graduating I have worked as a financial advisor at Convoy and currently I am aspiring to become a solicitor.

During my highly controversial bid for a position on the HKUSU, I faced intense scrutiny from fellow students and the local news media with regard to my competence in representing the interests of students to the senior management of the university, among other things.  Admittedly, my less-than-satisfactory responses to the pointed questioning from impassioned attendees of my campaign exposed my ignorance towards the governance of my university for all to see.  Since then, I have taken an active interest in this matter and have found it an incredibly fascinating topic worthy of deeper investigation.

As such, this blog is dedicated to discussing the matter of the politics and governance of higher education institutions in Hong Kong.  Through researching and writing for this blog, I aim to develop and disseminate insights on the oftentimes opaque power structure and decision-making of universities at the highest levels. 

Thank you for joining me on this project, I hope we can have a lot of fun together!

Comments